Wednesday 17 July 2013

Sticky sausages, mustard mash & onion gravy

I know it's baking hot but that doesn't stop me from cooking proper dinners. Last night I cooked this....


I posted a dinner picture on Facebook and some people asked for the recipe, so I thought I'd share.
There are three parts to the recipe. Sausages, mash and gravy. This would feed 4 adults.
Part 1, Gravy
Heat 20g of butter in a saucepan. Add 2, thinly sliced onions and cook for about 20 minutes until soft and a lovely dark brown. Stir in a tablespoon of plain flour and cook for another minute. Made up 500ml of beef stock and gradually add to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
Part 2, Mash
Peel 900g of potatoes and cut into large chunks. I like to use Maris Piper potatoes for mash. Place into a large pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for around 15 minutes until tender. Drain really well and return back to the saucepan. Add 20g of butter and 50ml of milk. If I'm being really good I heat the milk and melt the butter before adding. Mash until smooth then stir through 1tablespoon of whole grain mustard. I also like this recipe with piccalilli. Mmmmmmmm. Cover and set aside util you are ready to serve.
Part 3, Sausages
Heat 1tablespoon on olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add 8 pork sausages. I am a bit mad with my sausages. They have to be over 80% pork and not full of all other random stuff. The ones I used were 90% and you could really taste the difference!
Fry for around 15 minutes until brown all over. Stir through 1tablespoon of clear honey & 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard and cook for a couple of minutes until the sausages are really sticky.
Ta da!

Hope you enjoy. Let me know if you make it!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad - Bug Pad

No comments: